A Tummy Tuck, or Abdominoplasty, is a powerful surgical procedure to contour the abdomen into a more aesthetically pleasing shape. The procedure involves the removal of excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen, as well as the tightening of the midsection muscles that have loosened with time. It can be performed independently or in conjunction with other procedures, such as liposuction, which further enhances the final result.
Dr. Michael J. Yoo, MD, has helped countless patients restore the contours of a more youthful body and increase confidence. And, he can help you, too! Patients interested in a sleek, gorgeous waistline should contact us at (949) 861-3340 in Newport Beach and surrounding areas or (424) 209-9925 in Beverly Hills and southern California. We also offer an online inquiry form to best suit your needs.
Learn more about the methods and techniques Dr. Yoo offers his patients by following our blog.
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
- 3 Ideal Tummy Tuck Candidates
- 4 Personal Consultation
- 5 Preparation for the Procedure
- 6 The Procedure
- 7 The Techniques We Use
- 8 Recovery
- 9 Results of a Tummy Tuck
- 10 Ancillary Procedures
- 11 What is the Cost of a Tummy Tuck in California?
- 12 References
Before and After Photos
Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
The benefits of a Tummy Tuck with Dr. Yoo come with the ability to customize the procedure to your needs; this is not a one-size-fits-all surgery. Instead, Dr. Yoo considers your age, the state of your tissue, and the contours that will best suit your body type. And, of course, each patient’s wishes and surgery goals are considered carefully.
With a tummy tuck procedure, you will experience the following:
Ideal Tummy Tuck Candidates
The best candidates for a Tummy Tuck are those close to their ideal body weight, good general health, and leading a healthy lifestyle. Men and women who want a slimmer waistline often find that:
- Working out and dieting are not providing the results they desire.
- Individuals who have experienced significant weight loss might also notice loose-hanging skin that does not improve with exercise and diet.
- During pregnancy or after significant weight gain, the abdominal skin is often stretched to the point that it loses its natural elasticity and the ability to “bounce back.”
- The abdominal muscles can also be stretched out, leading to a rounded, protruding belly.
Despite persistent efforts, diet and exercise can do little to improve these issues. So instead, a Tummy Tuck is recommended to tighten the stomach area and remove excess, sagging skin and fat. In many instances, the results of this procedure can be dramatically enhanced by the addition of liposuction, which is used to sculpt and contour areas surrounding the stomach.
During your consultation with Dr. Yoo, you will have the opportunity to discuss your concerns and motivations for pursuing cosmetic surgery. He will then thoroughly examine the area and determine which customized techniques will help you achieve your aesthetic goal. Finally, Dr. Yoo will review your options and give you the necessary information to help you make an informed decision. Please mention all the medications/supplements/vitamins you take at your consultation, as Dr. Yoo may ask you to adjust them.
After you consult with Dr. Yoo, you will meet with the Patient Care Coordinator. She is an essential liaison to your care and will be available to answer most of your questions. You will know the Patient Care Coordinator well throughout your surgery and recovery. We will answer pricing and finance option inquiries at this time as well.
Preparation for the Procedure
You will need to complete specific tasks to prepare for your Tummy Tuck surgery.
- Refrain from smoking or nicotine-containing products for at least 4-6 weeks before surgery.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e., ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen) and all herbal/vitamin supplements not prescribed to you by a medical doctor should be discontinued, as these can potentially increase bleeding and bruising.
- Please be sure to have a ride home with a friend or family member after surgery; you will be unable to drive yourself.
- We highly recommend having someone stay overnight with you or longer to help with your recovery.
Dr. Yoo will give you specific postoperative instructions to ensure a safe recovery.
Before we start the surgery by administering anesthesia, Dr. Yoo will mark your abdomen where he will make the incision; he places the incision in a well-concealed area within the bikini line. The incision length will depend on the amount of excised skin needed to create a smooth, flat contour.
The procedure is performed under general anesthesia. Next, Dr. Yoo will remove excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen and tighten your abdominal muscles, giving you a more toned and contoured tummy.
Your procedure will take 2-4 hours, depending on your specific case and whether you undergo ancillary or additional procedures.
The sutures used to close the incision are dissolvable and do not need to be removed on subsequent visits. In addition, you will have drainage tubes to help eliminate fluid from underneath the skin, promote healing, and decrease swelling or bruising. We will remove the tubes when the drainage output reaches a level that signifies proper healing.
The Techniques We Use
Full Tummy Tuck
We recommend a Full Tummy Tuck for individuals with a significant amount of loose, hanging skin and fat on their abdomen. The incision is generally made from hip to hip in a location well concealed in the bikini line. The abdominal muscles, or “six-pack,” which have been stretched apart from the midline, are surgically brought back together, creating an internal, natural corset to tighten the midsection.
Excess skin and fat are re-draped and excised with moderate tension leaving a tightened and flat midsection. The belly button remains attached to the abdominal wall during this process and is brought through the re-draped skin, leaving a rejuvenated belly button.
Mini Tummy Tuck
A Mini Tummy Tuck is a scaled-down version of a Full Tummy Tuck. It typically involves tightening the abdominal muscles below the belly button, but it can also tighten them both above and below. With a Mini Tummy Tuck, the skin does not need to be re-draped as drastically as a Full Tummy Tuck and generally does not require a new skin incision for the belly button. In addition, the incision length is usually smaller than a Full Tummy Tuck.
Modified Tummy Tuck
A Modified Tummy Tuck is ideal for those requiring minimal assistance defining their abdomen. This procedure concentrates on enhancing either just the abdominal skin or just the abdominal muscles.
Male Tummy Tuck
A Male Tummy Tuck is ideal for men who have recently lost a large amount of weight and have significant excess skin as a result. Dr. Yoo sutures and tightens the abdominal muscles and re-drapes and excises the sagging skin to reveal the flat abdomen men want.
High-Tension Tummy Tuck
A High-Tension Tummy Tuck is a preferred method for women who desire a slim, corset-like waist. Like the Full Tummy Tuck, the abdominal wall is sutured and tightened vertically and horizontally; this cinches the core, creating excellent definition from waist to hips.
Following Dr. Yoo’s detailed instructions is an essential tool for a smooth and swift recovery. Here are several post-surgery things to keep in mind:
- Reduce Swelling – After surgery, we will dress your incisions and fit you with a compression garment; only remove these items when instructed.
- Avoid Fluid Retention – After surgery, you will have drainage tubes inserted to alleviate the buildup of excess fluid underneath the skin. Dr. Yoo will give you specific instructions on how to care for them and when he will remove them. Depending on your particular case, they are typically in place for about 5-10 days.
- Reduce Bruising – Stay away from anti-inflammatory medications and alcohol for a time following your surgery. Drinking increases the risk of complications after surgery by 50% or more. 
- Promote Proper Healing – For the first two weeks, sleeping in a “beach chair position” is essential – flexed at the waist, back elevated, and legs slightly up. Resting in this position decreases tension at the incision line.
- Minimize Incision Tension – Walking immediately after the procedure, including the day you have surgery, is very important. Walking slightly hunched over at the waist for the first week minimizes tension on the incision line, promotes good healing, encourages circulation, and reduces the risk of blood clots in the legs.
- Take Meds As Prescribed – You will be prescribed pain meds, anti-nausea medication, or both to keep you as comfortable as possible while healing. Remember to take them as directed.
Recovery varies from patient to patient, but generally, you can expect to return to work approximately 1-2 weeks after surgery, depending on your occupation. You can increase your activity level gradually over the several weeks following surgery and resume your pre-surgery activity level after 6-8 weeks.
Results of a Tummy Tuck
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle after your tummy tuck is critical to ensure lasting results. However, this procedure is not a substitute for weight loss, so patients should reach their ideal weight before scheduling surgery. In addition, pregnancy after a tummy tuck may affect results.
If you follow all postoperative recovery instructions, including eating well and exercising, you can enjoy your newly contoured, toned abdomen for many years.
While a tummy tuck can be performed as a procedure on its own, it is often complemented by other procedures.
Liposuction is a commonly used procedure that removes localized fat deposits from various body parts. Liposuction is often used as a supplementary tool to sculpt the abdominal area. Dr. Yoo removes discrete or excessive fat deposits, allowing him to then remove the excess skin and tighten the abdominal muscles. The combination of these procedures works synergistically to enhance the final result.
If you’ve experienced significant weight loss, whether through diet and exercise or by surgical means, you are often left with a large amount of excess, stretched skin. There is a limit to how much the skin will naturally tighten to your newly toned body, especially in older patients who have lost skin elasticity; this is where a Body Lift can create an incredible silhouette.
A Mommy Makeover consists of procedures performed simultaneously to restore post-pregnancy bodies to their pre-pregnancy shape. A Mommy Makeover can include a combination of the following procedures:
- Tummy Tuck
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Lift
By customizing the procedure to the patient’s needs, Dr. Yoo can give moms their youthful bodies and confidence. We know each mother is different, so during your consultation, Dr. Yoo will assess your specific aesthetic goals and see what procedures will help you meet your goals.
What is the Cost of a Tummy Tuck in California?
The price of your Tummy Tuck procedure depends on your specific case and aesthetic goals. Depending on your body type, additional or ancillary procedures may be necessary to accomplish your objectives. To gain a better idea, schedule a private consultation with Dr. Yoo and his Patient Care Coordinator, who will then provide you with a quote for your case.
We look forward to working with you!
- Fukano M, Tsukahara Y, Takei S, Nose-Ogura S, Fujii T, Torii S. Recovery of Abdominal Muscle Thickness and Contractile Function in Women after Childbirth. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2021;18(4):2130. doi:10.3390/ijerph18042130
- Sperstad JB, Tennfjord MK, Hilde G, Ellström-Engh M, Bø K. Diastasis recti abdominis during pregnancy and 12 months after childbirth: prevalence, risk factors and report of lumbopelvic pain. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2016;50(17):1092-1096. doi:10.1136/bjsports-2016-096065
- H. Tønnesen, P. R. Nielsen, J. B. Lauritzen, A. M. Møller, Smoking and alcohol intervention before surgery: evidence for best practice, BJA: British Journal of Anaesthesia, Volume 102, Issue 3, March 2009, Pages 297–306, https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aen401