A Mommy Makeover is a combination of cosmetic procedures that helps to restore a woman’s body to a pre-pregnancy appearance.
Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding are precious life moments. Unfortunately, these same moments can change your body. Women often experience lax breast tissue, stretched skin, and other aesthetic concerns. Luckily, a mommy makeover corrects these concerns by consolidating multiple procedures into one simple session. Dr. Michael J. Yoo has helped countless mothers reclaim their bodies through breast augmentation, breast lifts, tummy tucks, and liposuction. Interested women looking to enhance their body and regain youthful poise should schedule a consultation at one of our offices in Newport Beach or Beverly Hills. Or, you can also call (949) 861-3340 (Newport Beach) or (424) 209-9925 (Beverly Hills).
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 About a Mommy Makeover
- 3 Benefits
- 4 Candidates
- 5 Personal Consultation
- 6 Preparation
- 7 Procedure
- 8 Recovery
- 9 Results
- 10 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 11 Cost
- 12 FAQ
- 13 References
Before and After Photos
About a Mommy Makeover
A mommy makeover can restore a pre-pregnancy body in one surgical session. Multiple procedures can be performed simultaneously which significantly reduces cost, recovery time, and multiple surgical appointments.  This makeover is customized to treat the breasts, legs, abdominals, and more. Your consultation with Dr. Yoo will help you make an educated decision in obtaining your ideal aesthetic. Your mommy makeover may include:
An augmentation procedure adds volume to your breasts. Your ideal goal for your breasts will determine the incision technique, implants used, size, and texture. The process starts by making the proper incisions around the breasts to insert an implant into the chest. The implant will be placed either above or below the chest wall muscle.
Also known as mastopexy, a breast lift corrects sagging skin and breast projection. A lift makes multiple incisions around the breast and removes unwanted skin and tissue. Your breasts will then be lifted and tightened to a better position on the chest. Nipples may be repositioned and areolas are reduced to improve projection.
Breast Augmentation with Lift
Patients wanting a fuller, elevated breast size can opt for both a breast augmentation combined with a lift. Women who have lax, deflated breasts may choose this combination because it can increase breast size and elevate them for a perkier, youthful appearance. 
Liposuction removes stubborn fat using gentle suction from targeted areas such as the abdomen, thighs, arms, back, and hips. After an incision is made in the treatment area, tumescent fluid is injected to constrict blood vessels, reduce bleeding, and make fat cells easier to access. Then, fat is removed from healthy tissue using a thin cannula tube. Liposuction is used to address fat deposits, not loose skin. This is why this procedure is often combined with a tummy tuck.
A tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, tightens the abdominal wall and removes unnecessary skin from the midsection. Dr. Yoo offers several approaches to the procedure. They include:
- Full Tummy Tuck: Recommended for patients with substantial amounts of skin and fat. An incision is made from hip to hip near the bikini line. Loose skin is then removed, the belly button is preserved in its natural position, and abdominal muscles are tightened and repaired.
- Mini or Modified Tummy Tuck: Reserved for patients with moderate forms of skin laxity. The process starts with a slight incision just above the pubic hairline. Then, excess skin is removed, and abdominal muscles may be tightened.
- High-Tension Tummy Tuck: This method offers women a slim, corset-like waist contour. This method follows the same incision methods as a full abdominoplasty. However, the abdominal wall is sutured and tightened both vertically and horizontally. This cinches the waist and creates a better definition between the waist and hips.
A mommy makeover offers transformative remodelling for female bodies impacted by childbirth. This fully customized makeover provides recent mothers with several advantages. They include:
Multiple Surgeries at Once
A major plus is the procedures can be performed all at once. Having these surgeries performed simultaneously reduces multiple appointments, ensures an easy recovery, and reduces costs.
Restoring Your Body
Your body produces hormones to nurture your growing baby. However, these hormones cause many body changes, such as loose skin, stretch marks, asymmetrical breasts, excess fat, and stretched abdominal muscles. A mommy makeover brings back a taut appearance and heightened self-confidence.
Patients can enjoy a slimmer, sleek-looking body for years to come. In addition, patients who maintain their results with regular exercise and dieting can further extend results for years.
Increased Clothing Options
Patients can give their wardrobe a makeover as well with this procedure. A tighter, leaner body allows patients the freedom to shop for flattering body contoured clothing. Say goodbye to baggy clothing for good.
Healthy post-childbirth women looking to rejuvenate their bodies are great candidates. In addition, a mommy makeover may be recommended to patients who are: 
- In Good Health: You should be free of serious medical concerns. It also is recommended you are close to your ideal weight.
- Not Planning Future Pregnancies: Dr. Yoo recommends this procedure to women who do not plan to have more children. Future pregnancies can impact your results.
- In Need of Extra Help: Those who need assistance in losing excess fat and loose skin despite their best efforts at the gym and eating healthily.
- Realistic About Expectations: Patients should have sensible aesthetics in mind. Dr. Yoo and our helpful staff will ensure you get beautiful, natural-looking results.
Your consultation will take place at our tranquil offices in Newport Beach or Beverly Hills. During your meeting with Dr. Yoo, patients will have the opportunity to discuss their concerns, questions, and intended results. He will listen attentively, so feel free to mention pertinent details of your health and medical history. Then, Dr. Yoo will examine the areas of concern to determine which variation of the mommy makeover procedure will work best for you. Once we solidify an approach, we’ll explain the process and how it can provide a pre-pregnancy body. Finally, before you leave, we’ll schedule your surgery date and supply you with a list of pre-op instructions to follow in the interim. Please follow them carefully to ensure you have a stress-free procedure and recovery.
Schedule a consultation today to consider a brand new look for your body. Or reach us at (949) 861-3340 (Newport Beach) or (424) 209-9925 (Beverly Hills). Before your surgery starts, we invite you to read the answers to some common questions associated with a mommy makeover.
Preparing for your mommy makeover is unique to you, given the highly customized nature of t each procedure. Below is a general guideline on how to prepare.
- Stop Smoking: Do not consume tobacco products a few weeks before your treatment and throughout your recovery. Doing so may constrict blood flow and hamper recovery.
- Fill Medications: Pick up prescribed medications at your nearest pharmacy.
- Arrange a Ride Home: Choose someone to drive you home because the anesthesia needs time to wear off.
- Adjust Prescriptions: Intake of other medications and supplements may need to be adjusted because they may counteract the goals of your surgery.
- Take Time Off: Speak to your employer and take 1-2 weeks off from work.
- Fast as Directed: Stop eating at least eight hours before surgery.
- Arrive Ready: Come to your appointment clean, refreshed, and excited.
Once you arrive, we’ll prep you by administering you with general anesthesia. Depending on your treatment plan, your makeover experience can take 3-5 hours to complete. Dr. Yoo will begin the surgery once all reference marks have been made to your body. Your surgery may involve breast enhancement with implants, being repositioned to a higher location on the breast, or both. The midsection may be enhanced by tightening the abdominal wall, removing loose skin, or liposuctioning fat deposits. The surgery will conclude with suturing all incisions closed.
Recovery times look different for each patient. It depends on the procedures selected to perfect the desired aesthetic. During the first 1-2 weeks post-surgery, remember to get plenty of rest, eat healthily, and take short walks to facilitate blood flow. You may feel mild to moderate sensations of tenderness, discomfort, swelling, and discoloration. To offset these feelings, please take the prescribed medications as directed by Dr. Yoo. These symptoms will go away as the weeks go by.
Depending on the specifics of your treatment, you may be given a support bra or compression garment to wear. Please wear them for a few weeks unless directed otherwise. They help with swelling and keep your results in place. Patients usually feel comfortable getting back to simple activities and work within 2-3 weeks after surgery. Strenuous movements and activities can be picked up in another six weeks.
Many patients will see an immediate difference in the contours of their bodies. With time, results will continue as post-surgery symptoms fade away. You can count on seeing a fuller, perkier breast profile. The makeover will also make a difference to provide a taut body, strengthened abdominals, and slimmer stomach. Your results are long-lasting as long as you maintain a healthy and active lifestyle.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Patients interested in a complete transformation may be suitable for other procedures, including:
- Rhinoplasty: This procedure improves the appearance and function of the nose caused by structural irregularities. To achieve the desired result, a simple rhinoplasty can alter nasal cartilage, bone structure, and skin (or all three).
- Dermal fillers: This non-surgical enhancement restores fuller, youthful contours to the face. Various brand-name dermal fillers are available that use hyaluronic acid to retain moisture, hydrate the skin, and smooth away wrinkles.
The final cost of your mommy makeover depends on the number of procedures required to achieve your preferred aesthetic. Additional treatments will also determine the cost as well. We’ll discuss financial concerns at your consultation.
Which Procedures in the Mommy Makeover Treatment Are Right for Me?
At your consultation with a medical professional, you will determine which procedures are suitable for your needs. The session will discuss the areas of concern and the ideal aesthetic you’re going for. This will help with determining which procedures will benefit your body.
Can I Still Have Children After Surgery?
Patients looking for a mommy makeover should not get the surgery if they are still pregnant or want more children in the future. This is because any future pregnancy after surgery may change your results.
- Berkel, H., Birdsell, D. C., & Jenkins, H. (1992). Breast Augmentation: A Risk Factor for Breast Cancer? New England Journal of Medicine, 326(25), 1649–1653. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejm199206183262501
- Davison, S. P., & Spear, S. L. (2004). Simultaneous Breast Augmentation with Periareolar Mastopexy. Seminars in Plastic Surgery, 18(3), 189–201. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2004-831906
- The “mommy makeover” package. (2010). AMA Journal of Ethics, 12(5), 363–366. https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/mommy-makeover-package/2010-05